Car crash tips – don’t get caught


Many people think that if you apologize at the scene of an accident, you accept legal responsibility for it.

While that’s technically not the case – apologizing doesn’t mean you accept responsibility for the accident – it’s still best to avoid apologizing at the scene.

If you do, your verbal statement could be used against you in a claim and ultimately invalidate your claim.

Instead, check that those involved in the accident are safe and let the insurance companies handle the claim.

More often than not, if you drive on someone’s back, it will be considered your fault.

Rule number 126 of the Highway Code states that you must “leave enough space between you and the vehicle in front of you so that you can park safely if it slows down suddenly”.

The rule also states that you must leave a gap of at least two seconds between you and the vehicle in front of you on faster roads and in tunnels where visibility is reduced, doubling the gap on wet or icy roads.

Given all of this, an insurance company is unlikely to decide liability in favor of anyone who drove in the back of the car in front.

If you are worried about being the victim of a “crash for money”, consider invest in a dash cam.

You should contact your insurer as soon as possible, even if you have no intention of making a claim.

Failure to do so within the time frame set by your policy may invalidate your coverage.

Provide as much information as possible, including the name, address and insurance details of the third party involved in the accident.

Be sure to describe your interpretation of events, using sketches if possible.

If you have any details about cookies, forward them to your complaints handler.

Insurers should consider any relevant CCTV or dash cam footage that describes the incident.

If you have comprehensive insurance cover, you will be able to make a claim with your own provider, but you risk losing your bonus if the insurer is unable to recover the insurance money from the insurance provider. another driver.

This is usually the case if you are at fault or if you were involved in an accident with an uninsured driver.

Uninsured losses – such as a rent itr, loss of earnings, bodily injury or policy excess – will be claimed from the other driver’s insurer.

All RAC members have access to end-to-end accident assistance on 0333 2000 999 to help recover expenses after a car accident.

Otherwise, ask your insurer for a form or write to the other driver’s insurer.

If you have liability insurance, you will not be able to claim against your own insurance policy for damage to your own vehicle.

Your insurance company will always decide who is responsible for the accident.

If you are not at fault for the accident, you will have the right to claim from the other driver the reasonable cost of repairing your vehicle and uninsured losses.

If you are at fault, you will have to pay the cost of repairing your vehicle and will not be entitled to claim uninsured losses.

You must also inform your own insurance company, while the other driver must contact his.

Consult the Auto insurance database to find out if the other driver has valid coverage.

If you have been involved in an accident and you receive a letter or claim form from the third party or their insurer, send it to your own insurer as soon as possible.

Car accident

What happens to your car depends on the severity of the damage.

If the insurer decides that it is not economical to repair the vehicle, the car will be written off and you will be offered the market value at the time of the accident.

Your insurer has the right to deduct the value of your deductible from the value you receive for your damaged vehicle.

If you have a very high deductible, you may not receive as much as you might expect from your insurer.

The car will then be taken from you, but you should be able to keep it.

If you are not satisfied with the appraisal, you will be asked to provide documentary evidence of why you believe the vehicle is worth more.

You should collect digital copies of vehicles for sale of the same make, model, and similar age and mileage to support your argument that your insurer’s valuation is incorrect.

You must not carry out any repairs without the authorization of the insurance company.

You will most likely be sent to an approved repairer, but you may be asked to submit your own estimates for approval by the repairer.

The car will be repaired and restored to the condition at the time of the accident.

More details on RAC Accident Care can be found here.

If your vehicle stops on the side of the road, RAC can provide you with a breakdown cover.


Comments are closed.