Learn more about Juneteenth, the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the end of slavery in the United States.
Commemorate the end of slavery in the United States with a celebration in Johnson County leading up to June 19 on June 19.
Thursday, June 16:
- At 6 p.m., join the Oracles Community Conversations: Blackness and Belonging in Iowa City at 611 Southgate Ave.
Friday, June 17:
- From 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., there will be a meeting at Gene’s Bar.
- At 6 p.m., an event called “Showdown at Sundown” at Chauncey Swan Park.
- At 9:30 p.m. there will be live music at the Iowa City Ped Mall.
Saturday June 18:
- The “Juneteenth in Our Neighborhood” events will take place at St. Morrison Park in Coralville and Mercer Park in Iowa City.