AKRON, Ohio – Summit Artspace will host Akron Artwalk, a quarterly celebration of learning through the arts, on March 11 from 4-8 p.m.
The free event will take place at Summit Artspace, 140 E. Market St., and other venues in Akron’s historic arts district. Featuring the theme “Art Connects Us!”, Summit Artspace’s resident artists and vendors will offer artwork and handmade items for sale and the gallery will be open to visitors.
ArtWalk highlights at Summit Artspace include:
- An open house with student performances and artwork by visual arts students at Miller South School for the Visual and Performing Arts (Akron Public Schools)
- Artwork for Sale by Student Artists in the National Art Honor Society Chapter at Akron School of the Arts/Firestone CLC (Akron Public Schools)
- Artistic activities conducted by students of the University of Akron Art Education Program at the Mary Schiller Myers School of Art
- Hours of operation for Summit Choral Society’s new studio and classroom space
- Pop-up theatrical performances by young people from the Genesis Experience Theater
- Local Andrew Izold will perform live music in the Taylor Main Gallery to complement the “Fresh” exhibit. Local bands Strings Attached, Bout Time and Celtic Flux will also perform throughout the evening on the third floor.
ArtWalk highlights at other locations include:
- The Akron Art Museum will be open until 8 p.m. and offers a paid workshop with local artist Megan Young inspired by the “More is More” exhibit from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- The Akron Summit County Public Library will host a free concert featuring the Joe Augustine Jazz Trio in the main library auditorium from 6:30-8 p.m.
- The Nightlight Cinema will play “Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom” at 5:30 p.m. and “Writing with Fire” at 8 p.m.
- In the Northside District, the Northside Cellar will be open until 5 p.m. and Zeber-Martell Gallery and Clay Studio will be open until 6 p.m.
- From 8:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m., Jilly’s Music Room will host the band Mo’ Mojo, who will play Zydeco music infused with American, Cajun, reggae, rock & roll, funk, R&B, African and Latin rhythms.
- Musica will present a concert featuring Free Black!, JT’s Electrik Blackout and Jean P The MC. Doors open at 8 p.m. and the concert starts at 9 p.m.
Parking for ArtWalk will be available in the lot between Summit Street and Broadway Street, which is accessible from Mill Street (but not Market Street).
Want more information about Akron? Sign up for the Rubber City update from cleveland.coma newsletter sent by e-mail at 5:30 a.m. on Wednesdays.