Generations of The Band fans have been waiting for new tracks since the band’s last studio release nearly two decades ago.
The Chicago Tribune said, “(This new) The Weight (Band) continues where The Band left off,” and Goldmine Magazine described The Weight Band’s “World Gone Mad” as one of the best independent albums by. 2018.
The Weight Band began in 2013 in Levon Helm’s Woodstock barn, after Helm motivated Jim Weider to continue the legacy of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame group, The Band.
Weider performed for 15 years with The Band and with the Levon Helm Band. He now leads the Weight Band, which will head to the Buskirk-Chumley Theater on November 11 with songs from “World Gone Mad”, as well as classics from The Band.
Following:Dierks Bentley will play at Bloomington next spring; tickets go on sale next week
Weider got the idea for The Weight Band while playing with others. “I did a couple of shows with Garth Hudson from The Band and Jimmy Vivino on Band songs.”
They started to do shows, and people started doing it. As most of the members were involved in The Band or Levon Helm projects, they used it as a basis. The Weight Band revives the sound of Woodstock, keeping American / roots rock alive for all age groups.
They shuffle the songs every night and consistently make material from actors such as the Allman Brothers, Bob Dylan, and The Dead.
“And of course our original songs! Every show is different.”
Favorites from The Band’s treasured catalog are always in demand, including “Up On Cripple Creek”, “The Weight” and “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down”.
All Weight Band members can play most styles of music well and, combined, have hundreds of years of performance experience. And, each member sings.
Following:Things to do on Halloween weekend: Organs, ghosts, folk songs, costumed cabaret
Sometimes groups can go rogue, straying from the plan. In addition to the original album “World Gone Mad”, The Weight Band recorded a second fully original album to be released in 2022.
“While we are firmly rooted in the past, our connection to The Band, we are also committed to moving forward and innovating musically.” You’ll hear some of that in their new songs on the next album.
The members are Brian Mitchell (the Levon Helm Band), Michael Bram (Jason Mraz), Matt Zeiner (Dickey Betts Band) and Albert Rogers (the Jim Weider Band).
- Weider (guitar, mandolin, vocals) has toured internationally with original band members Levon Helm, Garth Hudson and Rick Danko and has been featured with them on numerous albums, films, videos and in television appearances.
- Bram (drums, vocals) is a singer and multi-instrumentalist, who divides his time playing drums for The Weight Band and Jason Mraz. He has been a staple of the New York music scene for nearly two decades.
- Mitchell (keyboards, vocals) is also a member of Levon Helm’s Midnight Ramble Band. He has recorded and performed with Helm, Bob Dylan, Al Green, and BB King, among others.
- Zeiner (keyboard, vocals) started his career with the band Street Temperature from Hartford, then hit the road with Matt “Guitar” Murphy of the Blues Brothers. Zeiner toured with Dickey Bett, founding member of the Allman Brothers Band.
- Rogers (bass, vocals) shared the stage with Levon Helm and Garth Hudson and performed in the Jim Weider Band. Rogers has also performed with Sid McGinnis, Hubert Sumlin, Jimmy Vivino, Albert Lee and others.
âIt’s a challenge to shoot right now, as some people are still reluctant to go out and get together in large groups, but everyone is vaccinated helps and the policies of the place like showing proof of vaccination etc. help. to bring people together to enjoy safe music. “
If you are going to
WHAT: The Weight Band, featuring members of The Band and the Levon Helm Band.
WHEN: 8 p.m. on November 11.
OR: Buskirk-Chumley Theater, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave., 812-323-3020, https://buskirkchumley.org.
HEALTH RULES: Participants must present either proof of COVID-19 vaccination with a name that matches their photo ID, or documents showing a negative result of a COVID-19 test administered at an official testing site within 48 hours of the show. See website for details.